Interestingly I don't think I ever really liked the traditional mac and cheese. I think I found it way too rich and I remember it leaving me feeling awful afterwards (which is no surprise given the ingredients) - so now I present to you: HEALTHY VEGAN MAC & CHEESE aw yeah. Continue reading to get this life-changing dish in your kitchen (and stomach).
By the way - this recipe makes lots of mac & cheesy goodness, so you could easily feed 4 people with this recipe (or have leftovers!)
- 1kg dry macaroni
- 2 white potatoes, peeled and chopped into cubes
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cubed
- About 10 button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- You will also need a blender or food processor for this recipe!
- Fill a small/medium saucepan with water (about 3 cups as a guideline) and put it on the stove on a high temperature until the water is boiling.
- Add the potatoes, boil for 2 minutes. Add the carrot, boil for another 12 minutes or until the veggies are soft (as they need to be blended!)
- In a separate saucepan, boil water for the macaroni - when it is cooked, drain and set aside.
- In your blender, place the nutritional yeast, cashews, garlic & onion powders and a little salt, and then place the boiled veggies into the blender - but save the water! Pour about 1 and a half to 2 and a half cups of the water into the blender (I always use less to start with and then gradually add more to get the desired consistency).
- Blend until smooth! Taste the mixture and if it needs more salt or any pepper, add it now.
- In a non-stick frypan, saute the garlic and mushrooms in a splash of water until browned.
- Serve up the macaroni in a bowl, pour the cheesy sauce over and mix through, and garnish with the paprika and mushrooms. YUMMM!