Isn't mexican food just the BOMB?! Also, sweet potatoes are the best thing ever. Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of vitamin A, vitamin C, manganese, copper, pantothenic acid and B6. They are also high in potassium, dietary fiber, niacin, B1, B2 and phosphorus! I'm loving baked sweet potatoes now that the weather is cooling down; they are so versatile the options for toppings are literally endless!
So here's my take on vegan mexican stuffed sweet potatoes (recipe adapted from Hell Yeah It's Vegan) - serves 1 hungry person but you can easily double the recipe :)
For the Avocado Sauce:
- 1/2 avocado, chopped roughly
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander stems and leaves chopped
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Salt & pepper, to taste
For the Toppings:
- 1 medium-sized sweet potato
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup cooked black beans
- 1/2 cup cooked corn kernels
- 1/4 cup chopped red capsicum (you can substitute this for tomato)
- Pierce sweet potato all over with a fork and bake for about 45 mins at 200 degrees until soft (depending on your oven and size of the potato this may take longer, possibly shorter so keep an eye on it!) - also top tip: pop the sweet potato on the oven racks and put alfoil at the bottom of the oven to catch any drippings from the potato.
- Next: prepare the avocado sauce! Blend all ingredients together and then pop in the fridge until you are ready to use.
- When the potato is done, slice in half lengthways (it will be hot so don't burn your hands!) then scoop out most of the flesh from each half into a bowl.
- Mash the potato with spices, then stir through the beans, corn and capsicum.
- Scoop back into the potato halves and top with avocado sauce and some coriander leaves. YUM enjoy xx