Eat With Andy's Açaí Bowl
This recipe has been a long time coming - I've been making açaí bowls for more than 4 years now but it has taken some time to perfect! I started getting interested in making my own bowls after continued frustration every time I went out to eat at a local cafe and finding that the açaí bowls tasted awful, or bitter, or bland; or had extra ingredients like apple juice to cut the cost of adding extra fruit in.
The açaí (ah-sigh-EE) berry is a grape-like fruit harvested from açaí palm trees, native to the rainforests of South America. Açaí is an amazing source of antioxidants, fiber, heart healthy-fats, and minerals. Plus, it's delicious!
I'm still yet to find an açaí bowl I can buy that tastes better than this one (although the bowls at Ohana Acai Bar come pretty close)
- 3-4 frozen bananas
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 sachet of pure unsweetened açaí (you should be able to find this at most health food stores or special grocers)
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1-2 tablespoons peanut butter
- Chop up your frozen bananas and açaí and then blend all ingredients together in a high powered blender! The trick here is not to stop blending when it's all mixed together, but keep blending until the consistency is super smooth and velvety.
- You can add extra coconut water if you want a more smoothie like consistency, less for a more 'icecream' consistency! See how your blender handles it.
- Change up coconut water for almond mylk to make your bowl creamier than ever.
- Change up peanut butter for almond or cashew butter (I can definitely vouch for cashew) - the nut butter in this recipe really adds something special to the flavour of the bowl, but if you're allergic to nuts you can definitely go without!
- Add avocado if you're into that - it makes the bowl superrr creamy!
- Add mango instead of/as well as bananas for a sweeter, more tropical bowl! You can also add pineapple, raspberries and strawberries.
- Add spinach if you want to get your greens in - but be aware that the colour of the bowl will most likely turn brown.
- There's so many more variations to this bowl, the options are limitless!
What are you waiting for? Get blending!
If you want to see some more photos of my açaí bowls, check out my Instagram.